// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Bad reputation

Bad reputation

banter general discussions etc

Bad reputation

Postby Rvalley on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

How come the poor old frontera gets panned so much?. Came across mine by accident really and like it is unusual now too.
Do I detect a certain snobbery in the 4x4 world?
Bill
Rvalley

Region: North East

Re: Bad reputation

Postby Munfred on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 pm

People are afraid of what they don't understand
Munfred
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Region: East Anglia

Postby stretch on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:09 am

I think people just can't comprehend that something cheap can be reliable and capable off road.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped

Postby JEOH on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Well, compared with other 4x4 I think GM die a poor job by not supporting all the garages dealing normally with Vauxhall/Opel cars.
As it is more a lorry/truck than a car, a lot of customers have not been kept satisfied.

Mercedes introduced the G-Wagon and invested a lot of training in 1979. And most of the garages de alt with trucks already and understood the things under the body more better.
Kind regards,
Ian

Sorry for my pigeonenglish.
My doctor says I have to invest time in SPORT
JEOH
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Gentile
Modifications: EX-GODZILLA (1995) 2010-2018 RiP
EX GRÜNSTREIFEN (1997) 2013-2019
EX-GIGANTE (1998) 2018-2022
G E N T I L E (1998) 2022 - today
General Grabber AT2, Soft-Top

GERRI Land Rover Range Rover Evoque TD4 2011
G-Wagon Mercedes 300GE 1990
Region: International

Postby Rvalley on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Well I've decided to keep it, for the time being anyway. Just sorting out a few issues ATM, clutch slave cylinder done ,need to sort speedo and the drivers door lock seems to have fallen into the inside of the door panel.
This is good for me as I'm semi retired and a born fidget! ...oh and it's too cold for the motorbike
Rvalley

Region: North East

Postby Retro Pedro on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:07 pm

If there was a culprit for bad publicity in the Frontera world, it's got to be the 2.2 petrol for head gasket issues. Maybe followed by the 2.5 no.1 injector and then the 2.2dti for fuel pump issues.
Every motor as a niggle somewhere down the line.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Postby jmc on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:14 am

Had my 2.5 for about ten years now I think and it's only actually stopped once and that was because the diesel filter needed changing I never got around to it.
Loved it ,still do but it's got so many things wrong on it now through age and I've found myself every weekend working on it which I don't mind but the family would rather I spend the time doing something else so Regrettably it may have to replaced with something newer.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Postby jmc on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 am

I have found snobbery in the 4x4 world. Landrover drivers owners won't even look at anything else,nor do Hilux owners.
I know two landrover owners who each time I see them go on at me about getting a landrover. One dosent actually drive his as its been parked up for at least two years awaiting a new transfer box and he did admit that it's uncomfortable to drive unless it's got a load in it,this is a short wheel base defender pick up. The other guy has a Disco which has broken down each time he's gone on a long journey,(Italy,) three times and caused them considerable expense and worry ,and now his wife I think might have a breakdown if she's made to go in it again and he dosent use it everyday as he has a Passat for that. I also know a Hilux double cab owner who stood ranting in front of my Fronty telling me it was 'neither fish nor fowl'. Quite why my Frontera produces such a hate reaction from him I don't know. His double cab is simply not practical for me as like having the length of the frontera for carrying long things in for work sticking out the lift up window and going right down into the footwell with the passenger seat right back flat and the seat behind that one taken out temporarily as I've replaced the factory bar and washer with easy pull out L bars.
So I have had these verbal attacks on my Fronty in spite of the evidence in front of them that it's been my daily work nad family vehicle with only one actual breakdown for 10 years and it's more economical than their vehicles.
I am pretty much up for most vehicles which are a 4x4 and I think most Fronera owners are just enthusiastic and supportive of 4x4's as well. When Gregster used to have his woods circuit any 4x4 was cheerfully welcomed.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Postby stretch on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 am

The way I look at it it's our money so we'll can drive whatever we want. When other 4x4 marque owners ask what you drive and you say frontera there is always an "oh" or a groan. At a 4x4 show on course a marshall said "go around you won't get over that" well I got over it no problem and the guy in the land rover behind me got stuck.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Keep the wry smile on your faces guys.
If your truck were a LR Discovery, Land Cruiser or G Wagon just think how many '0's you would have had to put on the end of the purchase price.
I paid £400 for my Fronty SWB A 2.8 ten years ago and probably another £2,000 on mods in that time. That includes two sets of Insa Turbos, front winch and bumper, Aisin manual hub locks (2 sets) and Lokka's for front and rear axles (still holding my head in shame because I haven't fitted the Lokka's). So for that amount of money, how would that compare to you Mr LR Discovery man.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Return to General discussion