// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Diesel road tax -

Diesel road tax -

banter general discussions etc

Diesel road tax -

Postby Retro Pedro on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Okay, so the government announced in their Autumn budget that they are going to raise road fund licence fee on diesel cars (not vans). The question is by how much and extent.
I've just paid £245 for 12 months for my 2.8 SWB A. I'm sure it was £230 the year before, and lower still the year before that, seem to remember £215 but I might be wrong. Shouts loud and clear that said fee as been rising yearly anyway but are they now going to smack us really hard to run our diesel older trucks. Bar-stewards comes to mind.
As a side note, I was with a guy the shouted his support at the announcement. My responding question back was how long have you been running your hybrid, electric motor. His response was he isn't, because his car is a diesel, needs to be because of the mileage he covers on his daily commute. Wry smile on my face but says it all.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: Diesel road tax -

Postby stretch on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 pm

It's getting ridiculous, I remember the time the government said everyone should buy diesels. Older ones aren't allow into some city centres now. Since my hot hatch days all my cars have been diesels.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Retro Pedro on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 pm

stretch wrote:Older ones aren't allow into some city centres now

It's crazy Brian - put an Isuzu Trooper hat on - so if I said okay, I'll buy a Trooper Commercial (same truck as a SWB but without rear seats and windows) it will cost me less to tax. But if I wanted to take it into the London Emission Zone, it would cost me £100 a day whereas I believe I could take a non-commercial 4x4 in free of charge (apart from T charge - £10 + congestion charge per day if I went further in and crossed the congestion charge line). Need to be careful what I say because the LEZ classification is 4x4 utility vehicle so only commercial. Stand to be corrected on that point.
For my sins, I drive a 7.5 tonne 5 litre diesel lorry about. On our firm, most of them are relatively new with the odd 61 reg. On the Euro 6 wagons you can't even smell the fumes coming out of the exhaust so the AdBlue does it's job. Apparently they are already talking about Euro 7 and hybrid lorries, so I wonder how the polutent in producing the electricity will compare.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby stretch on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Crazy times indeed the rules are messed up. Government are punishing people with old diesels but I can't afford a new one nor want one.

Did you see Telsa are doing an all electric lorry? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... 60mph-time
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Retro Pedro on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes did see the Telsa. Imagine hitting that speed with 36 tonne on the back. Brakes will need to be something special, that's unless the electric motors can be used in a similar fashion to the conventional diesel engine braking. At present, heavyweight loaded wagons are very much dependant engine brakes because it doesn't take a lot to over heat the conventional braking shoes when the weight is pushing the wagon down hill.
Progress will evolve and eventually they do get it right
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Return to General discussion