// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Newbie here needing help

Newbie here needing help

A Place to introduce yourself and say hello! - Please do not post questions here. If you are unsure of where to post a question, please post it in the General section and one of the FOG staff will move it to the correct place

Newbie here needing help

Postby Martinwalker83 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi ya I'm Martin and Im from lichfield in Staffordshire (Midlands if people don't know).
I got my first 2.2 dti lwb frontera on Tuesday evening, I've always liked these and needed something with more seats than my astra van and something that'd tow a trailer with my clio on easy.
Everything was going fine, drove brilliant and was loving every minute of it untill last night I was driving home and it just died, didn't splutter or anything just cut out and hasn't Started since(apart from 2 seconds on easy start.
Is this going to be the dreaded pump?
I do have a receipt from 2 weeks ago being at the garage for none starting and the crank sensor and maf was both replaced with new items.
Any help or stuff to try will be much appreciated, I don't want my frontera ownership to be short lived. :cry:
Martinwalker83

Region: Midlands

Re: Newbie here needing help

Postby stretch on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Exact same happened to mine cut out and that was it dead. Is the EML on?
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Martinwalker83 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:58 pm

No the EML isn't on(tbh I don't think it comes on when I turn on he ignition either do I bet the previous owner probably took the bulb out
Martinwalker83

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:41 am

Just my logic here but if it was mine I would try a couple of things first before changing the pump. It might be fuel starvation or air ingress rather than a failed pump.
I've never worked on a 2.2 diesel so a lot of the following is based on what I've read on here and working on other diesel motors. First thing to be aware of it's easy to burn out the pressure pump on these by running dry as it's lubricated by the diesel. Another aspect I believe is that there's an electronic module on the pump that can burn out.
Post filter, I would try running from a small cannister of diesel. Force feed the diesel into the pressure pump using an inline 12v pump or a hand held vacuum pump or syringe. Maybe crank off but don't undo completely a fuel pipe between pump and injector to allow any trapped air to escape. Pipe furthest away from the pump. Once diesel appears at the cracked off pipe do it back up again. If it fires up runs from the cannister it should eliminate the pump as being the fault.
From there it will be a case of checking the fuel feed pipes or maybe the tank for corrosion to see if air is getting in somewhere. Piece of clear pipe will allow you to see air bubbles to prove that point.
Also vacuum pipes can cause problems.
Re the garage that done the MAF - sounds like they have gone onto auto pilot and changed as a matter of course rather than knowing. Did they read the fault codes. Wouldn't have thought so.
After today, reckon you will get more guys on here that have been there before with the 2.2 DTI
Hope you get it sorted without having to spend to much.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Postby Martinwalker83 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Just thought I'd report back, it's was a proper pooey blocked fuel filter. Changed it today, bled the system (pressurised the tank with a compressor and cracked the injectors off) and it's running fine at the moment.
Also put a holder in the EML bulb socket as there wasn't one there.

So at this present moment in time I'm back to being a happy frontera owner happy days!
Martinwalker83

Return to New Members