// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Strata Florida - this Friday

Strata Florida - this Friday

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Postby gazza on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Trugga wrote:
gazza wrote:cool video. on the welsh two day motorcycle enduro, we have 22 minutes to do the 6.8 miles of the strata florida. all the gates are open but it is pretty hairy at that sort of pace down there :D i usually complete it in 20 mins, once got down to 18 :shock: may give the sport a go down there next time we are on holiday and not racing there.

I am extremely surprised to hear that you took part in a motorcycle race over the Strata Florida lane - I'm pretty sure that is illegal.

Strata Florida is on the councils list of streets and therefore is a public highway. Unles the council requested parliment to relax the Road Traffic Act through the House Of Lords (and pay a huge fee circa 100K) then I doubt the race was legal over that section and the organisers could be jailed.

I know this as we recently arranged for a private road to be used as a rally stage on the 2006 Rally of the Midlands, but it was discovered the week prior that the road was on the councils list of streets and had to be dropped from the competative sections. We (with the councils assistance) are looking at closed road rallying in the East Midlands and have just about raised the cash for the HOL request.

Racing around on Green Lanes is just what the "anti's" want so that they can get all motor vehicles banned from them - I would very much like to know more - please feel free to PM me further details.

As an aside, there is a 2-day motorcycle Endure (Dawn 'till Dusk) at Walters Arean in South Wales this comming weekend - I had been asked to marshal, but I'm still recovering from the 2-day Baja event in Radnor forest.

Just to be clear, I am very much for motorsport, but it must be legal.

Lawrence

no no, not illegal at all! the welsh used to be a three day international trial. it started in 1951. an enduro is unlike a motocross or similar, we have check points that have to be completed in a certain time, too early and you are penalised, too late and you are penalised. the emphasis is competing againts the clock. not racing up the lanes!
the welsh two day commitee has a very good relationship with powys county council, they understand the revenue that this event brings to the area, this year we had a bumper entry of 450 plus riders.
more info on the welsh can be found at http://www.welsh2dayenduro.com
it has similar status as the historic mcc trials, although we only cater for bikes and sidecars
the only tricky legal side is your own personal vehicle insurance, as you will probably know, you are not covered for rallies, races or time trials, the welsh two day committee via the acu and alexander forbes provide aditional cover to cater for the riders needs.
its quite a feeling to be part of an event that has huge backing by the locals, lots standing at the side of the road just to wave at (mostly) complete strangers, of course not all feel like this but when a week in june raises several million for the local economy it all helps!
all concerned with this event strive hard to improve relations with the local community, walking groups etc, there is many many months of hard work getting permission from the relevant council and forestry commisions. the biggest battle they face are illegal use of forestry by both bikes and 4 x 4's.
gazza

Postby Trugga on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Oh, I understand.

I've also marshalled on the Edinburgh Trial - the same sort of thing then I guess.

No worries then (although some GLASS members are not too keen in Classic Reliability Trials and vice versa; the organisers are not too keen with Green Laners - in my experience!!!)

I was keen to point out that racing around the countryside is not tolerated, unless authorised and sanctioned by a motorsporting body (ACU, MSA etc) who have been granted the relevent permits.

Cheers for the responce.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks
Region: Midlands

Postby gazza on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:22 pm

no worries, its one of those difficult subjects. it seems if you are not a sack cloth wearing fully paid up eco warrior there is no fun to be had anymore. more and more draconian nerc type bills will kill off alot of land access. it seems madness when over 95% of RoW are available to pedestrians yet motorised access continues to receed.
some areas in wales have a strong tradition of opening up going in forestry areas and allowing rups boats farm tracks and even bridleways with special permision for use in events, that said 30 years ago 90% of the welsh was off road, now it is roughly 60 %. and if things carry on as they are it can only drop further.

good luck with your green laning, hope its got some life left in it for all our sakes!
gazza

Previous

Return to Greenlaning Fording