// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - 1996 Frontera X20SE Not firing up

1996 Frontera X20SE Not firing up

banter general discussions etc

1996 Frontera X20SE Not firing up

Postby Mr_Mod on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi All
About 3 weeks ago i started the Frontera Sport (1996 with the X20SE Engine) after it had sat unused for 2 weeks whilst away on business and the revs at idle were about 700 rpm down from its usual 900rpm, during the course of the past few weeks the engine would cut out whilst driving without warning intermittently and after a few minutes would start up again. Gradually this would happen once every few days until Tuesday when I came to leave work and it won’t fire up, the engine will turn over but there is no ignition.
Thinking my problem was spark leads I went and bought a new set plus the ignition module, this did not solve the problem. Today I have replaced the Cam shaft sensor at the bottom of the engine and reconnected, again it will not fire up.
I have done the paper clip on the OBD connector and get the following
None of these seem to be relevant, 75 Torque Control Voltage is not even applicable according to the service manual.

Has anyone got any clue to what could be wrong?

Regards
Guy
Mr_Mod
2WD
2WD

Region: International

Re: 1996 Frontera X20SE Not firing up

Postby fogman on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:14 pm

have you tried the fuel pump relay ? im not sure exactly where it is on the x20 but on the earlier c 20 it was behind the passenger headlight !
edit -
have a read of this thread regarding fuel pump position ( passenger footwell ) and a possible other cause ( wire going from fuel tank to the fuel pump )
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58691&p=615553&hilit=x20+fuel+pump+relay#p615553
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: East Anglia

Postby 2much on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 pm

i'd agree with Fogman here,

mate of hours (sadly no longer on here) had this and was fuel pump relay BUT this was earlier C20e model.

I had something similar on my X20e but whilst it was the fuel pump not operating it seems that on the later model the feed/impulse for the fuel pump relay is from ECU. Mine wasn't providing this feed - the car ran for a while due to residual pressure in fuel lines.

my ECU had taken a bit of a soaking so assuming the worst (plus other problems) I never fixed it and it was stripped and scrapped.

however, I was advised that it may be possible to install a new separate feed from live to either relay or pump (preferably former), switched via. ignition and that on assumption the ECU was showing no fuel pump or related codes, the car should run - but never tried so cant say if that works or not - might be worth a shot if you can work your way round the wiring etc even a temporary supply feed to pump might help prove whether it would work or not?

only other thing to consider is immobiliser (again part of ECU I believe) - is yours off the key or a fob or something? I have heard that the immobiliser works by shutting off supply to fuel pump so could be worth investigating

on some Vauxhalls of that age there is a small chip in the ignition key which works the immobiliser (don't know about yours) but what can happen if you have remote locking and change the batteries then the chip can sometimes fall out = new chip required - could this apply to yours?

hope you sort it out....
2much
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Modifications: 2much!
Region: South East

Postby Mr_Mod on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Ok,
Will check tomorrow, car is staill at work so been taking train and bus.
Imobiliser is not an issue as it was not installed for the Australian market, so thats one less thing to worry about.
Will try get a relay in the morning and go back and give it a try, if not then will start checking the wiring and grounds are good.

Thanks for your sugestion, will advise of outcome
Mr_Mod
2WD
2WD

Region: International

Return to General discussion