// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - buying a diesel fronty

buying a diesel fronty

banter general discussions etc

buying a diesel fronty

Postby markta on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:36 pm

now ,we all have owned or had a diesel motor,fronty or fiesta.well ,i was chatting to a mate of mine today who owns a garage & he reckons upto 60% of older diesels that come into his garage are run on red diesel,so what this posting is about: do we really know what the old owners have ran the vehicles on prior to selling? answer no we dont
so
A: what happens to us poor sods who havent put red diesel in if the customs & excise pull us over????

B:have an accident (insurance companys would check(i would think) these days,to see what fuel the vehicle was running on.

C:once red diesel has been though your vehicle,tank,fuel pipes etc are marked so they can tell (10 gallon of white diesel will not clear the red dye)

when i go to buy a vehicle this is the last thing i think about,so maybe we should all start checking it out when buying a diesel vehicle,i'm sure the more experienced team members would be able to help out & give more advice i;e how to check etc.
i have been pulled up on the a49 3 times in the last 5yrs by customs & excise (in diesel vans),not due to my driving i must say,but just spot checks where they direct you into laybys,they even check your fag packets honestly(to make sure there not duty free),but they can & will dip your tanks,i have no idea whatsoever what the old owners have put into my fronty have you???????? i aplogise if this subject has been covered before,but i did a search & couldnt find anything.......
my frontera 2.3 td is a slug in snails clothing ha
markta
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby rangaKoo on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:18 am

I can guarantee there has never been any red diesel in my tank or pipes (as my vehicle was a petrol)

Don't know about the engine tho.

I shouldn't worry about C&E, if you don't have red diesel in it and you don't run it then you'll be ok.

Si
www.4x4search.org - your 4x4 search engine. 100% human submitted and edited!
rangaKoo
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: Ahhh, now driving a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that kicks ass!
Region: Southern England

Postby nitromotor on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:32 am

beware the veggie burning pump destroyer
http://www.crag-uk.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rsgb.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[url]pygphotography.com[/url]
nitromotor
Top Tech Bod
Top Tech Bod

Region: North Wales

Postby Drift on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am

Red Derv will clear eventually, it is just a dye added to the fuel to show its status thats all, the dye wont coat pipes ect it will clear completley after a couple of tank fulls and if dipped no trace will be found.

Veg oil is a big issue if you buy a second hand diesil and they dont declare its been used, this can cause lingering problems.

But that is covered in another thread on the forum, search and comment on that their :wink:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby huggy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:39 am

well i had a car that was run on red for years,one day i had a visit from the department for transport,some asshole reported me even though i have never used it myself,they dipped my tank and found nothing,all they do is put a thin tube down your tank and pump a small amount out,they just look at it and thats it,they did not check anything else at all,they asked what these empty drums were in my garden but i told them they where waste drums for the caravan which they were,they didnt even check the drums
huggy
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2 Inch Suspension Lift
CB Radio

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:18 am

had my tank "dipped" on the way back from a north wales laning weekend ...
all they did was put a thin pipe down the filler pipe and took a very small sample (had to wait while they checked it) but was told i could go after a couple of minutes...

aparently they "hang around" by play sites waiting to catch unsuspecting owners
Red Oktober
Retired

Region: South West

Postby markta on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:47 pm

drift thanks for that,i have always been told that if red diesel has been used then your tank,fuel pipes etc are marked for ever.least that gives honest folk a piece of mind,i just thought after my mechanic friend said about so many vehicles that come to his garage are run on red & someone who buys these cars wouldnt have clue,like myself never even think about it..........could you give me a link too the other post please drift,i've looked but cant find it cheers
my frontera 2.3 td is a slug in snails clothing ha
markta
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby Drift on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:54 pm

There ya go

http://fronteraowners.co.uk/v-web/bulle ... hp?t=13774

Thats just one thread, there are about 3 other threads at least in the forum on the same subject.

A quick seach should weedle them out. :wink:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Return to General discussion