// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Frontera 2.8TDi Sport and more

Frontera 2.8TDi Sport and more

Frontera's/Cars etc

all adverts will be deleted after 28 days unless they are renewed

Frontera 2.8TDi Sport and more

Postby yaki on Sun May 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi folks

It is time for me to put my Frontera's (yes I have 2) and spares up for sale, it has been a difficult decision but having just purchased an old Mercedes G Wagon that I will be restoring/modifying and work/family commitments I don't have the time or space to keep it or do anything with it

For those of you who have been here for a few years (if your still here that is) will know and appreciate how much time money and efort has gone into to this to make it an absolutley amaze balls off road vehicle, it aint pretty but its not meant to be

There are 2 ways of looking at this, it could be all of the bits you need to make your Frontera or Trooper unstoppable or you take this on and sort out some of the things that need doing

Firstly the bad bits

1. It has been used off road, both pay & play and greenlaning so paintwork has some scratches but no damage apart from what is described in point 3
2. Its 22 years old so has some rust scabs on the body work etc
3. Is has some damage to the OSF wing and winch bumper following an argument with a tree in a car park, yeah I know I wasn't even off roading at the time :lol:
3. The body mount behind the drivers seat needs repairing as it has broken, you will need to get this welded
4. It is not a sportscar, the ARB's have been removed for maximum articulation off road but can be refitted as original mounting points are there
5. Previous owner cut a hole in the rear wing for a side exit exhaust, not the neatest of jobs and I did plan and making a side exit pipe and tidying up but its one of them roundtuit things

Good bits

It has a valid MOT so you can drive it away, engine is a blinder and has had the fuel pump tweaked to maintain its get up and go despite the larger tyres.

Tech spec is as follows

Wide track rear Isuzu Trooper axle fitted with Aussie Locker difflock, 4.56 ratio
Isuzu Trooper front axle again with Aussie Locker difflock, 4.56 ratio
30mm front diff drop with modified crossmenber
Izusu Trooper 5 speed gearbox
Dual mass flywheel replaced with Trooper 3.1 solid flywheel
DPF and EGR removed
Straight through stainless centre exhaust box
4" MG Auto rear lift springs, again if your new to the Frontera world then these were developed to give decent lift and maintain articulation, limited numbers made and no longer available
Rear dislocation cones and spring retainers, dislocation cones are LR modified items to suit the springs
Longer Terrafirma rear shock absorbers
Calmini front top suspension arms fitted with poly bushes, plus 1/2" ball joint spacers and longer Procomp front shocks
Asin manual locking hubs
Safari snorkel
Front seats are MR2 fitted to Frontera subframes, they tip forward so you can still access rear seats if required
Wheels are 8" x 16", 35mm offset to increase the track and compensate for the lift and there is a set of 5 so spare matches what is fitted to the vehicle
Tyres are 285/75 x 16 (33") Cooper STT muds with 9mm of tread left on all 5 tyres
Rear tubular bumper with HD swivel recovery points
80mm body lift using UHMWPE spacers (I used to make these for Fronteras and Troopers)
HD fuel tank guard, tank is lifted 80mm up into the chassis to match body lift
Modified panhard rod to match suspension lift (not fitted but will be included with the vehicle)
HD front winch bumper with winch, have the wire rope and feed rollers in a box which will come with the vehicle as I was running it with synthetic rope but am keeping the synthetic rope. Winch power cables are new as is the relay, there is a master switch in the from grill and plug for the wander lead
Electric fan conversion with temperature sensor to engage when engine gets warm
Overhead console with Midland CB and speaker, this came out of a Land Rover but is a nice addition to the Frontera
Dashboard pod from a Mitsubushi Shogun with inclinometer plus boost and EGT gauges
CD player
Manual throttle from an Isuzu Trooper
HD Rock/Tree sliders that bolt to the chassis

There is probably more but I think that covers the main bits.

In addion to the vehicle I also have a collection of spares that will come with the vehicle this includes

2.8TDi gearbox
Isuzu Trooper wide track front axle with driveshafts, recently bought this to match the rear axle track
Pair of new vented front brake discs
Set of new Mintex front brake pads
Couple of starter motors
Brake master cylinder & servo
Hubs, discs, caplipers, plus stuff I havent seen for a while as its stored in my lockup

Looking for £2000 ovno

Appreciate this is a big chunk of money but TBF it is worth more than that for the off roady bits, can be flexible on the price but you may not get all the spares.. If it makes its asking price I will also throw in a set of Terra Low transfer box gears, if you are not familiar with these they are a replacement set of transfer gears to drop your low box ratio by 50% while maintaining high range gearing, it turns it into a real rock crawler. The Terra Low set I have includes gears to fit into a Trooper or Frontera transfer box

This is also going on other forums, Faebook marketplace, eBay etc and am also considering breaking it, would be nice to keep it all together but need the space so have to move it on quickly, just not willing to give it away

Will also be posting another for sale advert, I have a Red 2L Sport that I bought to use as spares however the body and chassis are solid, can't find any holes and looks like it hasn't been welded. Originally bought it as I needed a fromt wing but the body is that good was going to do a ground up rebuild and swap my off road bits onto it. However as per my intro, I now have G Wagon so its all going

ImageIMG_20180506_184420

ImageIMG_20180506_184410

ImageIMG_20180506_184402

ImageIMG_20180506_184355

ImageIMG_20180506_175931

ImageIMG_20180506_175942

ImageIMG_20180506_175903

ImageIMG_20180506_175852

ImageIMG_20180506_175802

ImageIMG_20180506_175755

ImageIMG_20180506_175735

ImageIMG_20180506_174445

ImageIMG_20180506_174423

ImageIMG_20180506_201956
Soon to be without a Frontera after 10 years of owning one :-(
yaki
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/P
Vehicle Name: Eric
Modifications: A few

Front Winch & Bumper
MR2 Seats
+4" Springs
+4" Rough Country Shocks
Calmini Front Arms
Trooper Front Axle
Front Aussie Locker
Rear Trooper Axle
Rear Aussie Locker
35mm Diff Drop
12mm Ball Joint Spacers
33" Tyres
80mm Body Lift
Extended Axle Breathers
Aisin Manual Hubs
Rear Recovery Bumper
Braided Brake Hoses
EGR System Removed
DeCat
Fuel Tank Lift
Front & Rear Anti-Roll bar removed
Roof Console
EGT/Boost Gauge and Inclinometer in Centre Console
Region: South Wales

Re: Frontera 2.8TDi Sport and more

Postby snapper on Sun May 13, 2018 11:30 am

Nice truck there Chris, oh so tempted too. Unfortunately I'd be hospitalised in hours if I added yet another one to the collection on the drive, Angie wants some space to park her car!

Interesting that you have fitted the MR2 seats, Truck needs a new front drivers seat (the seat cushion has finally given up after me sitting on it for the last 8 years!) and I was wondering what would fit. You've answered the question. Same with the L/R overhead consul.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard
Region: South East

Postby yaki on Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Snapper

I know what you mean, would dearly love to keep it but with 2 other vehicles and a 3rd on the way something has to go or I too would be dead or at least missing some male parts :shock:

As it is I have now started breaking it as space is needed soon, had lots of interest in the vehicle but no serious offers

Lockers, engine and Insa Turbos have gone, will start another thread with the bits I have left
yaki
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Front Winch & Bumper
MR2 Seats
+4" Springs
+4" Rough Country Shocks
Calmini Front Arms
Trooper Front Axle
Front Aussie Locker
Rear Trooper Axle
Rear Aussie Locker
35mm Diff Drop
12mm Ball Joint Spacers
33" Tyres
80mm Body Lift
Extended Axle Breathers
Aisin Manual Hubs
Rear Recovery Bumper
Braided Brake Hoses
EGR System Removed
DeCat
Fuel Tank Lift
Front & Rear Anti-Roll bar removed
Roof Console
EGT/Boost Gauge and Inclinometer in Centre Console
Region: South Wales

Postby stretch on Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Such a shame you had to break it.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby yaki on Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 pm

Tell me about it, started stripping it last Thursday evening, it was truly a sad moment and did stop several times and think to myself WTF am I doing
yaki
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Front Winch & Bumper
MR2 Seats
+4" Springs
+4" Rough Country Shocks