// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Could I possibly get some help and advice?!

Could I possibly get some help and advice?!

banter general discussions etc

Could I possibly get some help and advice?!

Postby rubyoptics on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all, firstly please allow me to thank you for allowing me access to your forum! I currently live in Poland and find myself in need of a second car. With the prices of Fronteras now almost laughably low, they are very appealing for my somewhat specific needs/wants. Before taking the plunge though, I was hoping you may be able and willing to answer a few questions I have if that's ok?

1 - Does the Frontera B have a lockable centre diff?
2 - I have seen quite a few posts on Australian 4x4 forums stating that the Holden version came fitted with a rear LSD, did this find it's way over to the European versions as well?
3 - I believe that to engage 4 wheel drive, you use a button situated on the right of the dash, and the second gear lever for the transfer case is for selecting high or low range, is this correct?
4 - Can you drive a frontera B in 4wd on the road? I.e can i select 4wd WITHOUT locking the centre diff and ending up with hideous transmission wind up?
5 - 2.2 Diesel or petrol with LPG?!

If you have any other tips / advice or just something you feel I should know, I would be more than grateful! Basically, over here we have very hot summers and very cold (-32 c) winters with an awful lot of snow. The idea of a cheap 4x4 with a removable hardtop for the summer is really appealing, but if you don't think it would be a great idea, then I would also love to hear why not!

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you are able to give me.
rubyoptics

Region: South East

Re: Could I possibly get some help and advice?!

Postby stretch on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm

1, The A/B does not have a centre diff thus 4wd can only be used on low traction surfaces i.e not tarmac etc as this can cause wind up and damage the drivetrain.

2, not sure

3, This is correct noting point 1

4, No see point 1

5, I had the 2.2 Dti and loved it the only problem on these is the weak fuel pump which when it goes will cost around £1000 to replace. 2.2 petrol are known for head gasket failures so if you go for one of them try and find one that has already had it done.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby rubyoptics on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Many thanks for your answers. I read through a few more posts here that gave a great description of full time vs. part time 4wd which helped me to answer a lot of my questions (Doh!). From a (past? present?) owners perspective, to engage 4wd how loose a surface would be suitable? Heavy rain? Snow? Neither of the aforementioned?! Sorry to bug you but this is possibly the make or break point tbh.
rubyoptics

Postby stretch on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Not heavy rain but snow mud etc.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby JEOH on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi,

LSD had been available in European Fronteras - look for the plate with the option codes and G80 you should be happy with unless nobody replaced the axle... :lol:
Kind regards,
Ian

Sorry for my pigeonenglish.
My doctor says I have to invest time in SPORT
JEOH
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Gentile
Modifications: EX-GODZILLA (1995) 2010-2018 RiP
EX GRÜNSTREIFEN (1997) 2013-2019
EX-GIGANTE (1998) 2018-2022
G E N T I L E (1998) 2022 - today
General Grabber AT2, Soft-Top

GERRI Land Rover Range Rover Evoque TD4 2011
G-Wagon Mercedes 300GE 1990
Region: International

Postby jmc on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 pm

With my 2.5 it's possible to stop, switch to 4x4 which locks the hubs. While driving if I come to a clean bit of road in between slushy snowy bits I take it out of 4x4 while driving over the slightly drier road and then back into 4x4 when it gets slushy again. I also drive to drive with one set of wheels usually the near side in slushy stuff while the drivers side wheels are on the cleaner Tarmac. This seems to be ok but it takes a bit of concentrating to keep changing in and out of4x4.
Hope this helps and I wonder what you've bought?
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Return to General discussion