// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - What to look for

What to look for

banter general discussions etc

What to look for

Postby Spudicus on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to the Frontera, I'm looking at a 2002 LWB 2.2 diesel, she has 195K on the clock.
Are there any things I should be looking for with a truck of this age and mileage. She's got FSH, so hopefully she's a good one.
Thanks for your time fellow followers of Fronties! :clap:
Spudicus
mud splasher
mud splasher

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2002/02
Region: Midlands

Re: What to look for

Postby fogman on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 pm

the weak point on the dti is the fuel pump, they can fail around the 80k mark although running out of fuel will more than likely ruin it first, so chances are its had at least 1 change in its past. they can be quite expensive to replace depending on what version of the diesel engine it has fitted, 2001/2 was about the change over period between both versions. have a good look at the chassis for rust especially behind the rear bumper as thats more likely to go first if at all. check the 4wd system engages correctly by pushing the 4x4 button on the dash .... it should flash for a short period before showing a solid green light & the reverse to disengage it again, dont drive it in 4wd unless on slippery surfaces, you can check it by driving in a straight line for a few yards as that should be enough for the 4wd system to engage & disengage apart from that pretty much the same checks as you would on any other car. if maintained well the dti can clock up high miles, i think 600k has been achieved by 1 member/
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: East Anglia

Postby stretch on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:41 am

I've read of people having done 250k on original pump but others dieing at 40k so it's complete but luck so it's possible it's never had a pump change but with that kind of mileage I would want one that has.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Spudicus on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 am

image.jpeg
Thanks for the info Stretch. Hoping she's a good one, looks immaculate in the pic he sent me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spudicus
mud splasher
mud splasher

Registration Year: 2002/02
Region: Midlands

Return to General discussion