// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Frontera tyre alternatives

Frontera tyre alternatives

banter general discussions etc

Frontera tyre alternatives

Postby 1packabs on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm going to have to buy a nice new set of 4 tyres for my frontera.
At the moment I have 245/70R16 tyres on there. I guess this is the correct size.
I like a nice ballon look on a 4x4 and I'm wondering if I can go wider with a lower profile to get a bigger foot print for more grip when pulling.
Any alternative tyre sizes recommended?
Many thanks
1packabs
mud splasher
mud splasher

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/51
Vehicle Name: Sherman
Modifications: None. She's staying standard.m
Region: South East

Re: Frontera tyre alternatives

Postby fogman on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:04 pm

if you go into your user panel control and fill in your profile with the model you own then other members will be able to advise you easier :wink:
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: East Anglia

Re: Frontera tyre alternatives

Postby gregster on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 am

1packabs wrote:and I'm wondering if I can go wider with a lower profile to get a bigger foot print for more grip when pulling.

Hi...This will only work on tarmac/concrete etc, where a wider tyre will afford more grip....Offroad the opposite applies, as you are relying on the weight of the vehicle to forces the tread into the ground to afford you more traction, the wider the tyre, the more it will stay on the surface and scrabble around unless you increase the weight of the vehicle dramatically. This is one of the reason why in car tests like on top gear where they put an old series 1 landrover up against a much more modern RR, the series always wins when it gets muddy, as it has much narrower tyres that cut in and give it more traction.
Same applies with tractors, those huge floatation tyres they run when spreading and spraying are great for not compressing the ground, but when it comes to ploughing a much narrower tyre is used with way more agrresive tread so it cuts in.
Floatation doesnt give you traction off road, but can help on bottomless ground (beaches, desserts, swaps) where are narrow tyre is not going to be able to cut through the slosh and find something to grip on...Floatation can also be less damaging to the ground underneath you, hence why farmers use them.
So with tyre choice and size you really need to consider exactly what you need the vehicle to do, and how you plan to use it and it what conditions as the tyre choice will vary considerably...
Fat is cool though, when it comes to tyres, but you need to expect the guy on better selected tyres to drive straight past you when you are stuck if you use it with a vengance off road.
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery