// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Why won't my removable factory fit tow bar fit properly?

Why won't my removable factory fit tow bar fit properly?

banter general discussions etc

Why won't my removable factory fit tow bar fit properly?

Postby frontera1 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:29 pm

After a few years in the wilderness, I have rejoined the fold with a 2.2dti B series sport.

I need it fur towing so this problem is a bit if a dilemma.

i cannot get the removable factory fit tow bar to fit properly.

This picture shows where all the bits should be when it is fitted properly

This picture shows how it looks when I fit it. It seems to be locked in place but I really don't feel comfortable actually towing something with it like this.

At first I thought maybe the tow bar that came with the car was not actually the right one, so I bought another one off eBay. This looks identical and does exactly the same thing. Then, when I was at a breakers getting a few bits, I took a third one off a b series sport in the yard. This was fitted in place with all the bits looking like those in the first picture. When I got it home and tried to fit it to mine it was exactly the same as the other two.

Am I doing something wrong or am I going mad? Is there a special knack to fitting these that I haven't mastered. Yes I have read the manual and followed the instructions.

Please help, I am tearing my hair out here and I really can't afford to lose any more :D

Thanks.
1994 Frontera 2.0i Sport Convertable (gone but not forgotten)
2002 Frontera 2.2 RS dti Sport (current drive)
frontera1
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Re: Why won't my removable factory fit tow bar fit properly?

Postby snapper on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:12 am

1. Give the whole thing a good clean and lubrication, don't forget to get all of the muck out of the mount that the towball fits into. It doesn't take much to am it up.

2. Judging from the second picture the smaller locking lever has broken inside the unit, a common fault. See para 3.

3. Give this thread a good read, haven't a clue who wrote it but it pretty much sums the things up.

4. Today's top tip... Don't force them into position, they should (if well maintained and the mechanism is kept clean and well oiled) fit easily and lock into place with a firm click.

5. The one shown in the picture IS NOT LOCKED IN PLACE and you should NOT tow with it like that. When located correctly the large Locking Lever returns to the position shown in the first picture and the smaller lever returns to the position shown to lock and prevent the large Locking Lever from moving.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard
Region: South East

Postby frontera1 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks snapper. You had the answer in the first suggestion. There was a very little surface rust on some of the contact areas so I cleaned everything up and now all three of my tow bars lock securely in place. I can't believe how little it took to stop them seating home properly.

Cheers :thumbup:
1994 Frontera 2.0i Sport Convertable (gone but not forgotten)
2002 Frontera 2.2 RS dti Sport (current drive)
frontera1

Postby snapper on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 am

No problem, glad to help.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby jmc on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 pm

I have one one my 2.5. I really like them as they can be taken out . bit of a pain to store in side the car but it means I am not hitting my shins on it and it's always there when needed.Wevused to live on a busy road and I parked in the side streets every night.One night as I was squeezing the Fronty into a space I misjudged going backwards and cracked the cars plate behind me.I left a note and they got in touch and it cost me a tenner to get the new plate.Since then I took it off and stored it in the lockers I have put in the back.
In spite of oiling I have always needed to put a flat blade screwdriver in alongside the chrome lever things in order to get them to work to release the tow hitch.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Postby snapper on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Trucks tow ball lives in the storage compartment in the O/S rear seat bolster along with the jump leads.

snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

2.8 TD LWB - Truck: