// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - 3.2?

3.2?

banter general discussions etc

3.2?

Postby westo123 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:32 pm

I thought I might replace the broken SWB with this V6, seems a good price at £680.
Anything special to the 3.2 I should be aware of.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161917112118? ... EBIDX%3AIT
It was once said that the Devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish Pasty.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Region: South West

Re: 3.2?

Postby ghosthunter on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Not really, just the usual B things. The V6 can sometimes crack a cylinder head, water in the plug tubes or rusty spark plugs are a giveaway . It's normally the near side rear, near the bulkhead that goes.....but it's nothing like 2.2 head gasket frequency. The intake gaskets are prone to failing and break up resulting in irregular idling....an easy job to do. It's the earlier cable throttle version and not the drive by wire later version. The early one has 2 lambda sensors and the later has 4!. Engines can be a bit tappety on tick over , nothing really to worry about as they are shimmed solid lifters. Any misfire view with suspicion as it may be a sheared cam drive pin...not difficult to repair just a pita to do. They can also use quite a lot of oil. This is due to the Pistons only having 4 very small oil holes for the oil rings and if used for a lot of small journeys can gumm up the rings, again don't worry as they are one of the cleanest burning engines around.......the emissions on mine are so low that the mot guy has to check his equipment is working.if you wanted to cure it you'd have to strip the engine and drill another 4 holes in each piston oil ring groove.....guess what virtually nobody does and it's no detriment. Just change the oil frequently along with the filter and watch the level and you should have no problem, it's a great big heavy lump of an engine that does the job well........try one you'll like it! :dance: :dance:
Last edited by ghosthunter on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bag 'O' Sh*te No1 2.2 petrol 2000
Bag 'O' Sh*te. No2 3.2 petrol 1998
ghosthunter
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/S
Vehicle Name: Bag 'O' Sh**e No2
Region: North Wales

Postby westo123 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:20 pm

That's great thank very much, I have sort of cleared it with the boss so hopefully I will get it!
It was once said that the Devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish Pasty.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Postby snapper on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 pm

As it's in Torquay I would be asking if it's been used to tow and launch boats. IIRC unless the trailer is unhitched the rear of the tow vehicle gets wet on all of the slipways. Also, bear in mind that the main road between Torquay & Paignton is well 'washed' by the sea when there's a tasty Easterly blowing (force 4 +) and high tide... So check for any rot on the chassis when viewing.

In the past I've had waves going over the TOP of a Transit Van when driving along the main road. Basically, an Easterly blows straight in thus making it a Lee Shore, that coupled with an incoming tide has always made the coastline in the Bay 'interesting' at times.

It does look tidy in the pics though and the price is nice too.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard
Region: South East

Postby woodwizzard on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:08 am

Don't forget to figure in the cost of a cam belt change.
woodwizzard
Ace Fella
Ace Fella

Model: 2.2 DTi 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 2001/Y

Postby westo123 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Well an update to this was, I did not buy it, something just didn't feel right. I have just picked up this trooper, which I have to say is great. Proper knobs all where they should be!
westo123
GURU
GURU

Return to General discussion