// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Insurance - for mods and green laning

Insurance - for mods and green laning

banter general discussions etc

Insurance - for mods and green laning

Postby Retro Pedro on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Anybody got a recommendation for an Insurance provider that covers mods and green laning?
Gut feeling is I need to find a new insurer pretty rapid. My Fronty was insured with Frank Pickles, who I know have been shying away from taking on new business for a few years now, but were still honouring existing business. Appreciate I need to check my files for expiry date, but I'm pretty convinced I didn't have the customer renewal invition and with the arrival of the MID warning letter today, I'm thinking Frank Pickles have called it a day with 4x4 insurance without any communication with existing policyholders. For sure in was current in October because I taxed the Fronty online.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: Insurance - for mods and green laning

Postby stretch on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:16 pm

The 2.8 is insured with Keith Michaels all modes declared green laning insurance limited mileage
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby RatCav on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Again Keith Michaels .. into my third year with them.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks for replys Brian and Neal - waiting for their call back with a price. Are they cool with cover for mods? Suspension, body lift, mud tyres etc.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby RatCav on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:46 am

Yup .. totally cool with them. I have everything declared on mine. Still very cheap. My only complaint would be comms. They can be a bit lacking on getting back to you. I have had to phone them back a couple of times, but always resolved amicably and satisfactorily.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:36 am

Hopefully they open up on a Sat. Got a real panic on now, having checked on my last policy, it ran out early Sept :roll: Reckon Frank Pickles have called it a day with renewals without any notification. :oops:
All that said, would have thought the online tax renewal would have thrown a wobbly, just shows the MID must run with a time lapse
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby fogman on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:41 am

with keith michaels its a case of the more mods the better peter. if you do a search on here theres a thread where the father of a keith michael employee posted a direct line number to his son ( both were fog members ) who would give extra discount if you mentioned being a fog member ! so get a quote then mention fog ;)
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby martinkettering on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Could try heritage,unlimited mods,green laning/organised off roading covered but limited mileage.
martinkettering
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 2001/X
Modifications: 3" rear lift
2" front lift
Cb radio
Region: Midlands

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Job for Monday now - Keith Michaels quote dept didn't open on Sat's so I had to jump in where I could to get insurance on it. Done an online quote with Sureterm and it quoted £187 third party fire and theft. After being on the phone for a hour and discussing declared mods, suspension lift, winch etc. they turned it into £254 fully comp. With MID letter threatening prosecution, decided to take it with the view to cancelling within the 14 day period for the £20 fee plus daily cover supplied. Hopefully, I can get a better deal to balance the books.
Got it touch with Frank Pickles and as suspected, they have pulled the plug on 4x4 insurance by not offering renewals. They reckon they sent me an e-mail in August with the policy running out early September.
On the bright side, at least it's all legal now.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby lee771 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Not the first time frank pickle have done that tbf, 6 years ago had a 2.8 lwb insured with them then revived abletter saying they wernt doing 4x4 any more looks like they started again!!

Got my sport insured with 2gether insurance been good so far 25 plus but cheap as chips
lee771
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: +2" suspension
33 12.5 15s
-32 offset steel rims
Landrover arch extension
Region: Midlands

Postby Smith3210 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:53 am

I'm with glywood have been for years. All mods declared (winch,winch bumper,MUDs,rock sliders,lifted) with no problems limited to 1500 miles but you can change that. They seem to be nice people in the office as well.
This can only end badly
Smith3210
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Model: 2.4 5dr
Vehicle Name: APU
Modifications: muds
lift kit
rock/tree sliders
winch
winch bumper
Welded rear diff
Extra dents

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Credit it where it's due and many thanks to you guys for heads up. Additional to martinkettering for Heritage tip.
On the plus side, all mods declared, no probs with greenlaning and pay and play for £138 p.a. fully comp and 3,000 miles p.a. Please note, this is for a 'weekend' toy insurance, as advised by martin, you do have to have a daily runner main insurance policy running in tandem but not linked.
Additional cheapest option recovery for £35 so took a punt with that as well.
Haven't heard from, and to be fair, haven't chased Keith Michaels yet but will do just to get the comparison price
Weird old world insurance, underwriter via Heritage is KGM. Exactly the same company aligned to Frank Pickles. Last premium made to Frank Pickles in 2014 was £168 third party fire and theft. Getting fully comp via Heritage with £30 reduction. As an additional side note, Heritage have got new products with underwriters whereby you can negotiate the 'car value' PLUS mods figure should to worse happen. Didn't persue that option because I was falling off my chair with the £138.

Now for the downer on Sureterm. Rang them up to cancel the policy and done the arguing bit. OK to be fair, the plan was to use them as a stop gap because of the MID letter. On Saturday, it was a £20 cancellation fee plus the daily usage. They managed another £25 saying the underwriter also wanted a cancellation fee. Of it was in the small print but it wasn't what was verbally stated, even with the request for them to investigate from the recording. Waste of time arguing but I suppose no difference from what would be expected from an insurance company giving money back. My own conclution was I'm still in pocket with the cancellation. Also I would need to be sure of my facts, but I believe Sureterm had/have links with Markerstudy, and it can be reported how a person high up at Markerstudy had no regards for other elements with developments that his company had been involved with locally.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Munfred on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 pm

When frank pickles decided they didn't want my business anymore I went with 2gether and have been for over 2 years now.
Munfred
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Postby gregster on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Peter...you should have called me... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I could have added your car to my insurance as a stop gap for you for FREE! You wouldnt have been insured to drive it, but it would have shut up the DVLA until you had your other cover in place!
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby Retro Pedro on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:14 pm

gregster wrote:Peter...you should have called me... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I could have added your car to my insurance as a stop gap for you for FREE! You wouldnt have been insured to drive it, but it would have shut up the DVLA until you had your other cover in place!

Cheers Greg for offer, much appreciated.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Retro Pedro on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Rant about Sureterm
Credit card statement landed on the mat last Tuesday, with no sign of the rebate. Polite telephone call to the Sureterm call centre with the response being that there is a notification of cancellation dated 30th November on the file and that the duty supervisor would send an e-mail to the accounts department for my request for my money back. Two days later, having checked with the credit card compan,y and still no rebate. Another call to Sureterm only to be told that the rebate is being actioned and that if could take 3-5 working days to clear. They then went on to say that being that we're approaching the festive season, I could expect it to be 14 days before my rebate clears. That will be getting on for one whole month.
Oddly enough, when I paid them, the money registered on the same day (28th November).
With this experience, makes me wonder what Sureterm would be like in parting with money should a valid claim have to be made. Bloody shyters.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Return to General discussion