// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Opinions on new car please!

Opinions on new car please!

banter general discussions etc

Opinions on new car please!

Postby westo123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:29 pm

I have just been to see this car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171630422646? ... EBIDX%3AIT
It is in very good condition, one lady owner from new, second car, hence the very low mileage which the paperwork shows is genuine. It has been well looked after and has had the welding behind the rear number plate, as well as the brakes pipes done. Full service history and garaged most of it's life. The digital read out works and has aftermarket rear sensors and hands free Bluetooth radio fitted.
Is there anything else I should check?
I think its slightly overpriced what do people think?
It was once said that the Devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish Pasty.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Region: South West

Re: Opinions on new car please!

Postby westo123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:01 pm

I did check the door pillars and sills, all nice and shiny, must admit I didn't do the rear cross member as such but did have a good peer under the back, all looked rust free. Drove really well and 4x4 does work, tried it. What doya think pricewise?
It was once said that the Devil would never dare to cross the River Tamar into Cornwall for fear of ending up as a filling in a Cornish Pasty.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Postby vauxsqueeks on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:49 pm

I think its a little over priced, but as stated they probably want around £1500.

That said I bought a 3.2V6 on an 02 plate 2 years ago for £995. It did need a couple of jobs doing admittedly but around £1250 for me would be a good price if everything else is in order.

Check for MIL lights, CV boots, check everything, The one I also had a faulty rear wiper problem and you can use any fault to drop the price. Test everything!
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: South East

Postby RatCav on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm

You also have to consider 4x4 winter tax as well this time of year.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby DarrenH_2.2 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 pm

if it helps, when i was looking during summer last year there were no B series more expensive than 1200 quid on autotrader. the ones that were that price were generally facelift V grill 3.2 and 2.2dti models with all the niceties

is it "worth" 1700, yes, but then i think the cheap ones are stupendous value for money. in terms the amount of car, specifications, capabilities you get compared to contemporary vehicles in the same class

is it overpriced compared to other fronteri, yes
DarrenH_2.2
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T

Postby westo123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks Guys, I shall take all this on board. I really like the car so may have another word with the owner.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Postby storesafe on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Top dollar this one,

I bought a low mileage V6 on a 52 plate two years ago for £1400. These cars need to be run or things perish, which is why it's had quite a bit of work done. So i would assume the current owner is trying to recoup some of the cost back. Looks like its got factory twin electrics and removable towbar (bonus) if you tow.
Better off PM AskDean or ghosthunter for V6 advice!

I'd agree with others here £1200 is about right.
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... e149-2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swillin' ale
storesafe
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2002/52
Vehicle Name: Gobbler
Modifications: New gauges fitted where crappy multi display was.
2" Suspension lift
Poly bushes all round
New Rough country shocks to front
Trooper springs on rear
Full Ice change
Olympus half leather interior

Postby westo123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 pm

It certainly has the removable tow bar, it's kept in a compartment in the boot. Thank you for confirming what I thought. I have emailed the guy politely (I hope) that it is a great car but too expensive. Maybe another one will turn up just as close.
westo123
GURU
GURU

Postby jimmybhoy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:47 am

ive recently just got an 04 plate for £1800 :shh:
jimmybhoy
GURU
GURU

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2004/04
Modifications: Tints, BRC LPG. Stainless Exhaust, Yoko Geolandar AT`s. Fully polybushed
Region: Scotland

Postby DarrenH_2.2 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:24 pm

ROUND UP THE VILLAGERS ! get 'im
DarrenH_2.2
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T

Postby RatCav on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Essentially how much are you willing to pay. All the cheap figures you have been told are probably based on the idea that people have seen cheaper cars and therefore told themselves that if they have seen one truck that cheap they aren't going to spend more. You also have to ask the question. I can buy a cheap truck for £1000, then discover that it actually does need to have £1000 spent on it to get up to scratch, along with the time its off the road being fixed. If this one is as tidy as you say it is, and you bargain them down to £1500 and its a little gem then you have saved yourself £500 and a load of heartache and grief along the way.

Cheap vehicles that don't need anything done to them are very few and far between. I am of the opinion these days that I would rather spend the extra pennies and get something that I can just get into and drive without the annoyance and hassle of having to fix it once I have bought it.

Looking at the photo's it certainly looks tidy enough (without actually seeing all the masses of areas that could contain issues), and you say it runs and drives well. Now compare it to any other 4x4 (Isuzu Troopers included) and your not going to get anything else pristine clean, running sweetly, and available for anything less than £2000 (Discovery's probably twice that).

If it were me and its immaculate as you say. I would offer £1500 cash (as I would need to find the money to tax it before driving it away r.e. new car tax laws) and consider it a good deal.

Another thing to consider folks is the OP is looking now. Does he have the time to spends months looking for that gem of a truck we keep reading about. Possibly not. He/she has probably been looking for a while now and has seen this and taken his/her fancy

Westo. If your unsure about anything on the truck, go have another look with a friend with experienced eyes to make sure. I did this not so long ago with Bobbinsjob over a Tigra I was looking at. he spotted a few things that I missed which were deal breakers.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)

Postby fogman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:00 pm

and just to add - you can soon spend many pounds not to mention waste lots of time travelling whilst viewing other cars further a field !
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: East Anglia

Return to General discussion