// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - what engine to buy?

what engine to buy?

banter general discussions etc

what engine to buy?

Postby Jamie 1986 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello everyone.
I have a immaculate 2.2dti frontera but the engine has blown up on me. It is a lwb 2003 model. I have been looking everywhere for a replacement engine but am unsure of what to buy. My engine number is y22dth and most of the engines out there are x22dth. Apart from the emissions is there any difference? And would I be able to fit the x22 engine to my model?
Jamie 1986
2WD
2WD

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2003/03
Region: South East

Re: what engine to buy?

Postby 4x4 bobby on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:48 am

Morning Jamie. I can't give you an difinitive answer on that but im sure it must be posible. Shoot gregster a pm he may have the y22dth you want! Allso have you looked on e-bay as there is a guy in Birmingham that brakes only 2.2dti his prices are reasonable too! His user name is frontera_shop i typed in vauxhall frontera 2.2dti spares. Good luck with your search bud!

Regards Bobster
Comments on Betsy here please!!! viewtopic.php?f=115&t=56282

Bobster!!!!

Frontera's do it better in MUD!!!
West Midlands Area Rep

Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
4x4 bobby
Satanic Mechanic
Satanic Mechanic

Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: Betsy
Modifications: Light bar. CB attena on rear door. Wider wheels from an "A" series.
Region: Midlands

Postby Jamie 1986 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply, I have only found one y22 model on ebay and the fella didn't have much info about it so I steered clear. I have sent gregster a pm so fingers crossed.
Thanks.
Jamie 1986
2WD
2WD

Postby 4x4 bobby on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Now on me desk top. Here's the link to the lad in Birmingham. Give him a message it can't hurt!!!!! :thumbup:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-FRON ... 4ae1920b71
Heres a Y22DTH http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-FRON ... 1e943d6cd8
Comments on Betsy here please!!! viewtopic.php?f=115&t=56282

Bobster!!!!

Frontera's do it better in MUD!!!
West Midlands Area Rep

Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
4x4 bobby
Satanic Mechanic
Satanic Mechanic

Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: Betsy
Modifications: Light bar. CB attena on rear door. Wider wheels from an "A" series.

Postby martinkettering on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Omega also uses the same engine.
martinkettering
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 2001/X
Modifications: 3" rear lift
2" front lift
Cb radio

Postby hipo1024 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 am

The bottom half is the same, Infact I'm pretty sure the head is the same too. The intake manifold is different, don't know about the exhaust. The most notable difference is in how it's managed, Ie on your y22 engine the fuel pump ecu is also the ecu for the whole car, the x22 has a fuel pump ecu and a separate ecu for the car. So if your going to swap totally over you'll need alot more than just the engine.

So either replace it with a y22 and use your current fuel pump, or depending what actually blew up on it, rebuild it from a donor engine or new parts

My 2.8 shorty - now sold, and comments here
My old dti - now sold

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW --- What a Ride!"

This vehicle runs on 100% recycled dinosaurs
hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Justifies Every Extra Part
Modifications: Daily drive: '55 jeep grand cherokee crd
3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold
Region: East Anglia

Postby Jamie 1986 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:43 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have managed to source a y22 engine with 57000 miles and am fitting it today.

Fingers crossed all is good.
Jamie 1986
2WD
2WD

Postby Jamie 1986 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Hiya,

I got the engine in and all seems good.
It will not fire up so had a guy out to plug his computer in, he says that the ecu is not responding with the car and will need reprogramming.

Does anybody know where I can get this done?
Jamie 1986
2WD
2WD

Postby vauxsqueeks on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 pm

If all you have done is replace the engine, then you shouldn't need to do any reprogramming.

There must be more to his comments, Is there any codes reported?
Did you make sure any connections have been replaced/re-fitted correctly?

What tool did he use with the computer?

If its re-programming then Vauxhall dealer will be able to do this. Not sure on what they would charge on-top of a "diagnostics" ( which is usually around £90 ) to re-program possibly later firmware into the ECU..

See if you can get more clarification on what the fault was.. just to say that the ECU is not responding doesn't help much.. Depending on the tool he had he could test other things like Fuel pump, injectors etc.. but a dead ecu??

re-check the work that you have done and all cables.. I assume the car is cranking and just not starting?

I would also be looking to make sure that you have bleed the fuel lines correctly and fully.
As you have replaced the engine then you are also looking at extended cranking time ( more that your battery will be able to do before going flat, so a starter pack will be needed or a recharge and try again ) initially just to get the fuel back through the fuel pump and into the injectors..

The Diesels just need fuel and air, there is no spark to worry about.

Also I would check the timing of the engine to the fuel pump.. did you confirm this was correct on re-fitting as the fuel pump is also required to be timed to the engine to put the fuel into the block at the right time.
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby DarrenH_2.2 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

the only thing i could think of was if they fitted the ecu from donor vehicle which isnt coded for this vehicle/immobiliser/transponders whatever. in which case just put yours back in
DarrenH_2.2
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T

Postby hipo1024 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:03 pm

As above, the ecu on the y22 engine is built into the fuel pump ecu so if you didn't swap fuel pumps over that'll be your answer and they can't be reprogrammed.

My old dti - now sold

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW --- What a Ride!"

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby Jamie 1986 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help.

I managed to get the engine in the car then found out i had to put my old fuel pump back on it. Done that and she fired up after a bit messing around bleeding the fuel pipes.
I have read on here that a lot of people are having problems with the car going into limp mode and not revving past 2500 revs.......... This happened to me so i changed the crank sensor, nothing changed, renewed all the vacuum hoses and again nothing changed, changed the mass air flow meter for a cheap one of ebay and it seemed to do the job but didn't last for long.
In the end i paid out for a genuine bosch one and it has cured the problem and she runs sweet as nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope that helps.

I still have a few minor issues if anyone can help?
My reverse lights do not come on. I have checked the bulbs and they are fine, could this be a switch on the gearbox?
The speedo doesn't work. Again could this be the sender on the gearbox?
Four wheel drive will not engage, the little green car on the dash just keeps flashing at me. Could this be due to speedo not working because it says i have to be under a certain speed to put into four wheel drive, and as the speedo is not working, the car doesn't know how fast its going?
When i sit at 60-70 mph for a while, the little amber car with a spanner comes up. This does not affect how the car performs but my mate plugged his fault finding gadget in and has said that one of the vacuum control valves is faulty. He is unsure what one as there is 3 of them and they cost £120 each, he has suggested blanking of the egr valve............Would this be a good idea? If so is it as easy as fit the blanking plates? Or would the car need some sort of reprogramming?
Jamie 1986
2WD
2WD

Postby fogman on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 pm

the speedo not working is probably the usual b series dash fault, it can be repaired with a soldering iron ( theres quite a bit of info on here if you search it ) i think hipo ( dan ) offers a repair service to ;)
the 4wd system not working will be down to the faulty vcv as the 4wd system is operated by positive and negative vacuum , testing of the system can be found in Ratcavs excellent how to thread found below -
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=44994
WHY AINT I GOT AN ALL SINGING & ALL DANCING SIGNATURE LIKE BOXY & DRIFTY ?

fogman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby hipo1024 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Have you plugged in all the plugs after the engine swap? The gearbox loom runs up the left (from memory) of the engine. The speed sensor and reverse light switch and 4wd actuators all run down this loom so the fact you are having issues with all of the above I'd say it's probably a connection issue

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold