// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - locking

locking

banter general discussions etc

locking

Postby BillT on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:00 pm

my fron wont work on the fob, i have 2 fobs and i know the spare has a new battery in it, when i press the fob nothing, if i unlock the car by key, then try to lock it with the fob, i can hear slightly the beep, but still dosent lock the doors.
regards
roughing it in style
BillT
mud splasher
mud splasher

Postby Ruathar on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm

What year is the Fronty?

The A series has a 3 stage alarm.

First is the alarm/immobiliser, fitted to every car. This was either disabled by the key in the ignition or a fob waved in front of a sensor (depending on year). All parts for this are still available.

The second part was the remote. This only disabled/enabled the alarm and did not lock/unlock the door. This was an optional extra over and above option 1 and so was not fitted on all cars. Parts for this option are no longer available.

The third option was to link the whole thing into the central locking. This was again an extra over and above option 2, thus was fitted to very few cars as was quite expensive at the time. The parts for this are avalable from VX dealers and are fairly easy to fit (about 2 hours work on a sport).

So if you have an A series the chances are you only have option 2 for the alarm and so is not linked to the central locking.
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Some day it will be how I want it to be...
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: K&N Panel Filter, modified breaking system, modified air intake, performance oil and fuel filters, custom exhaust/manifolds/cats, rebuilt engine with performance parts, custom performance gaskets all round, custom light weight fly wheel, custom modded chip, now pushing 330+bhp. Needs new custom drive chain, modded body to take wider tyres, wider wheels and tyres and will then be complete other than the lift, mud tyres, rock sliders, and everything else I can think of....
Region: Midlands

Postby Huwwalford on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Ruathar wrote:What year is the Fronty?

The A series has a 3 stage alarm.

First is the alarm/immobiliser, fitted to every car. This was either disabled by the key in the ignition or a fob waved in front of a sensor (depending on year). All parts for this are still available.

The second part was the remote. This only disabled/enabled the alarm and did not lock/unlock the door. This was an optional extra over and above option 1 and so was not fitted on all cars. Parts for this option are no longer available.

The third option was to link the whole thing into the central locking. This was again an extra over and above option 2, thus was fitted to very few cars as was quite expensive at the time. The parts for this are avalable from VX STealers and are fairly easy to fit (about 2 hours work on a sport).

So if you have an A series the chances are you only have option 2 for the alarm and so is not linked to the central locking.

Spelling mistake above :D :D
Owner of 'Maisey Daisey' aka Frontera LWB 2.2DTLi! Model year 2000.
Huwwalford
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Vehicle Name: Maisey Daisy
Region: South Wales

Postby BillT on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:41 am

the car is X reg and yes when u press the fob central locking came in, the immobiliser was removed before i got the car, some problem with it. but everything was fine till today, sometimes when i press the fob i hear the alarm and the doors trying to lock, its if theres a drain somewhere? the doors dont try to lock every time i press the fob.
regards.
roughing it in style
BillT
mud splasher
mud splasher

Postby MSI64 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:27 am

I have an M reg Fronty I unlock with a key. Should I have remote central locking??
Cant get the 4x4 out of my blood

http://www.justgiving.com/MSI64
MSI64
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M

Postby Ruathar on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 am

On an x-reg the central locking should work along with the fob (rear of the key) as standard. Problem being that if the immobiliser has been removed it is a part of that system so I wouldn't know where to start with diagnosing the fault. If it has worked before I would try for loose wiring first and go from there.

M reg may not have a fob at all for the alarm, factory fitted standard was turn off by key in the ignition with various dealer fitted upgrades available at the time of sale.
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Modifications: K&N Panel Filter, modified breaking system, modified air intake, performance oil and fuel filters, custom exhaust/manifolds/cats, rebuilt engine with performance parts, custom performance gaskets all round, custom light weight fly wheel, custom modded chip, now pushing 330+bhp. Needs new custom drive chain, modded body to take wider tyres, wider wheels and tyres and will then be complete other than the lift, mud tyres, rock sliders, and everything else I can think of....

Postby john (smifffy) on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:55 am

my L reg has central locking but only by the key

the fob just turns alarm & immobalizer off
as i have it set on manual
cheers

john (smifffy)
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: 1996 2.2 16v diamond pack

2014 new astra 2.2 SRI cdti SS sports tourer
Region: East Anglia

Postby MSI64 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks, Thought I had another problem to add to the list for a minute :twisted:
Cant get the 4x4 out of my blood

http://www.justgiving.com/MSI64
MSI64
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M

Postby BillT on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:44 pm

cheers for the replies, i will have a look round L8r, had a rough night so its a day in bed today, :?
roughing it in style
BillT
mud splasher
mud splasher

Postby Ruathar on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:01 pm

John,

The Auto/Manual/Off switch on the A series alarms doesn't affect the central locking. It only controls the alarm set.

Off the alarm does not function.

Manual, the alarm will only be set when you press the button on the fob.

Auto the alarm will set itself shortly after you lock the car using the key.

I have to admit though I have never found an A series with the third stage fitted to link the alarm through to the central locking so don't think they were very popular at the time (the cost was a little on the high side for what was essentially a budget 4x4). Would love to either find one or fit the third stage (still available from dealers) to see what effect it has on the alarm system.....
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby BillT on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51 pm

k sorted the alarm everything works etc lights flash sounder works inside senors work, just the cental locking dont kick in, normaly when i start the car, the doors lock, thats packed in. is there a fuse anywhere, if so where? the alarm system isnt factory fitted i dont think. the alarm is over the acc peddle, and the wires soldered in to the loom. i do use a different fob, not the car key fob. so? can be owt.
roughing it in style
BillT
mud splasher
mud splasher

Return to General discussion