// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Parking restrictions.

Parking restrictions.

banter general discussions etc

Parking restrictions.

Postby Silver Ghost on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi guys, wherre would i find out about parking retrictions, or who would i call.

The reason i am asking is, i was visiting my mother in law today for new years dinner.
She lives in a cul-de-sac. at the entrance there is one white sign that says redisents parking only.
Well i caould not park infront of her house, and moved further along the road, parked my car and an angry old man in white vest in no uncertain terms told me to sling me hook, i cant park here, resdents only. i tried to tell him i was visiting a resident, but he was having none of it.
anyway, a car moved and i was able to get outside the mother in laws house.

so i want to find out where i stand as regards this. as there is only one sign, no other signs once in the street and no road markings. no parking bays.

there are no permits on any cars there, not even this guys own car. and nothing saying permit holders only.

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/S
Region: South East

Postby andysd1 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:01 pm

tell him to get a life
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake
Region: North West

Postby Red Oktober on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:10 pm

agree with andy :lol: :lol: :lol: .....

but contact your local council and get a definative answer :wink:
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby Silver Ghost on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:12 pm

ANDYSD1 wrote:tell him to get a life

Yeah i did that, but i would like to know fully, as next time, i will park outside his house and then tell him to go **** himself.

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Postby andysd1 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:16 pm

well we do have one outside are walk, (well we did untill the kids nicked it for a goal post) and it just means no footy, shopers or party people tp park there, but if you are visiting you may park where you like, as long as you dont obstuct any thing, the usal stuff like driveways, pathways or on the kerb,
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby andysd1 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:19 pm

and to go one better tell mumy inlaw to put the kettel on and a load of us will turn up for a cupper
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby john (smifffy) on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 pm

the wifes sister has resident only parking in there road
but the council issue visitor parking ticket to the residents to put on relatives cars
cheers

john (smifffy)
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: 1996 2.2 16v diamond pack

2014 new astra 2.2 SRI cdti SS sports tourer
Region: East Anglia

Postby 4x4 bobby on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Unless its a privat road and your only visiting as long as you paid the road tax you can park anywhere. Chrissy had same problem with an abusive old man and the police were called he was cutioned. Its not illigel to park as long as you follow the highway code on parking ristrictions.
Comments on Betsy here please!!! viewtopic.php?f=115&t=56282

Bobster!!!!

Frontera's do it better in MUD!!!
West Midlands Area Rep

Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
4x4 bobby
Satanic Mechanic
Satanic Mechanic

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: Betsy
Modifications: Light bar. CB attena on rear door. Wider wheels from an "A" series.
Region: Midlands

Postby Big Dave on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Parking offences were decriminalised (i think) in January 2007. That means the police now do not deal with parking issues - it falls to the local authority council to deal with.

As I work for housing in my local authority, I have to deal with numerous complaints about parking.

Unfortunately, there are very few rules to enforce. As has been mentioned, as long as you are road taxed, not causing an obstruction and not in a private (parking permit) zone, you can pretty much park how you like.

One note - apparently, it is a criminal offence to block a driveway with a car parked on it, and your car can be towed and impounded. It is not an offence to block an empty driveway.
Big Dave
Member of http://www.northtyne4x4.com http://www.4x4uk.org
Big Dave
my other car is a broken down frontera,
my other car is a broken down frontera,

Vehicle Name: Honda Civic
Modifications: Dreams
Region: North East

Postby Silver Ghost on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Big Dave wrote:Parking offences were decriminalised (i think) in January 2007. That means the police now do not deal with parking issues - it falls to the local authority council to deal with.

As I work for housing in my local authority, I have to deal with numerous complaints about parking.

Unfortunately, there are very few rules to enforce. As has been mentioned, as long as you are road taxed, not causing an obstruction and not in a private (parking permit) zone, you can pretty much park how you like.

One note - apparently, it is a criminal offence to block a driveway with a car parked on it, and your car can be towed and impounded. It is not an offence to block an empty driveway.

there are no driveways, and no permit parking, that i know 100%. i have permit parking in my street, cost me 40 quid a year, and its well signed to say so. so i know all about that side.

thanks guys, any more info would be a a help.

and the kettle is always on at mother inlaws, so no prob there. just want to get facts as i intent tp put my car outside same house next time.

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Postby bobbinsjob on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:30 pm

I have resident parking only but there is no way of enforcing it. If someone parks outside my house, I park somewhere else then get the space back when i can.

If the sign just say "resident parking only", it is basically a polite request.
If the sign says "resident parking permit holders only" then it can be enforced
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby rangaKoo on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:08 am

As far as things go a lot of small cul-de-sacs like to put up these signs that don't mean diddly squat under the laws that cover use of roads.

The vehicle must be taxed, insured, mot'd and driven by a licensed driver and provided it's not breaking the laws that are clearly displayed (or in the highway code) with regards to parking you can park it almost anywhere you please!

However it doesn't mean that the residents in that street have not BOUGHT the road and as such can do as they please.

Again, as already mentioned, the District Council would have the definitive answer for you. ALSO check the Highway Code and make sure the sign is NOT shown in there, because if it's NOT shown in there then it's NOT enforceable! :D

While I would not suggest being rude to the old codger if you check the council and they say it's not a sign from them or they cannot answer then check with the local police (just to get a nod there as well) then I'd suggest parking in the street (legally of course not obstructing anything) then if the old codger gives you a mouthful explain the laws to him...

:)

Plain and simple.

(by the way there are LOADS of stupid signs up on estates and stuff which mean absolutely nothing and can not, or will not (due to impracticality) ever be enforced!)

Si
www.4x4search.org - your 4x4 search engine. 100% human submitted and edited!
rangaKoo
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: Ahhh, now driving a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that kicks ass!
Region: Southern England

Postby Silver Ghost on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:43 pm

rangaKoo wrote:As far as things go a lot of small cul-de-sacs like to put up these signs that don't mean diddly squat under the laws that cover use of roads.

The vehicle must be taxed, insured, mot'd and driven by a licensed driver and provided it's not breaking the laws that are clearly displayed (or in the highway code) with regards to parking you can park it almost anywhere you please!

However it doesn't mean that the residents in that street have not BOUGHT the road and as such can do as they please.

Again, as already mentioned, the District Council would have the definitive answer for you. ALSO check the Highway Code and make sure the sign is NOT shown in there, because if it's NOT shown in there then it's NOT enforceable! :D

While I would not suggest being rude to the old codger if you check the council and they say it's not a sign from them or they cannot answer then check with the local police (just to get a nod there as well) then I'd suggest parking in the street (legally of course not obstructing anything) then if the old codger gives you a mouthful explain the laws to him...

:)

Plain and simple.

(by the way there are LOADS of stupid signs up on estates and stuff which mean absolutely nothing and can not, or will not (due to impracticality) ever be enforced!)

Si

Thanks mate, thats what i was thinking as well. but will check it out, let you all know, because i can see the same situation happening again.

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Postby gazman276 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:32 am

rangaKoo wrote:
As far as things go a lot of small cul-de-sacs like to put up these signs that don't mean diddly squat under the laws that cover use of roads.

Again, as already mentioned, the District Council would have the definitive answer for you. ALSO check the Highway Code and make sure the sign is NOT shown in there, because if it's NOT shown in there then it's NOT enforceable!

Plain and simple.

this is sound advice follow these steps and you cant go wrong in the eyes of the law but be sure to check the highway code book as that is where it all matters and on the subject what a lot of people dont know is that if a traffic warden rights a ticket and you drive off BEFORE he has finished writting it its now nonenforcable wich means you get away with it but remember it has to be BEFORE he finished writting it ive been a driving instructor for three years now and i couldnt give you any better advice than that above
when i die i want to die like my grandfather peacefully in his sleep.
not like his passengers shouting and screaming
gazman276
4WD
4WD

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Region: North East

Return to General discussion