// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - new frontie still not starting

new frontie still not starting

banter general discussions etc

new frontie still not starting

Postby fenwoman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:01 pm

I put the new battery on this morning and still it won't start. It turns over briskly enough at first. So then I loosened the little screwy thingy under the fuel filter and pumped out a lot of water. Tried again, still no luck, so got the puggie out again (I think she is getting fed up with me). What I think might be the problem is glow plugs. Cold weather, good battery, turns over fine, no start. When I try and try and try eventually with the puggies help, it will start. Once I've got it started I can stop as many times as I like and it restarts every time, so I'm surmising it is just a problem from completely cold? Any thoughts?
I did a 160 mile round trip today down to near London to collect a big chest freezer and she was fine. Very pleased with the drive, some issues with the seat being uncomfortable (I have a nasty spine condition) but I reckon a small lumbar cushion should sort that out.
I filled the tank right up with diesel before I set off and only used 1/4 total so I'm very pleased at that since it compares pretty well with the puggie. I'm not heavy footed though and although I maintained a 60MPH (was towing a trailer so any faster is illegal).
I think I'm in love because on the drive home I was thinking I'll book it in for some glow plugs to be fitted and get the cambelt changed at the same time. Although I'm perfectly capable of doing the glowplugs myself, I'm not incline to be outside in this cold weather unless I'm working physically hard and keeping warm. It won't cost much to get it done in any case. So, given the symptoms, do those with more knowledge than I, think it points to a glow plug problem?
Incidentally I gave her a treat of injector cleaner today when I filled the tank. Sort of an automotive colonic irrigation :lol:
fenwoman
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Vehicle Name: Fenella
Region: East Anglia

Postby country_Est on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:24 pm

Ok,

I have seen your previous posts regarding f in Frontera, but haven't found out what model it is, or what engine it has other that diesel.

If it is a 2.2 DTi Frontera "B" 99-04 then before the glow plugs I would try the diesel leak off pipes as it is a well known prob on this model. I have a 2000 2.2Dti so have done this my self as it is a very easy fix. Mine has been starting without the glowplugs these cold mornings cos I keep forgetting to wait :lol: :lol:. But when the leak off pipes were showing the prob it would take a lot of chewing on to start, but once started then all would be well untill left for a few hours.

ps if not one of these then ignore this.

pps offer to do a winter bbq and you would prob get a lot of fronty engineers turning up to help, Haveing seen your prev theads.

Trev.
2000 Frontera 2.2 DTi Ltd
country_Est
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Vehicle Name: panserbjørne
Modifications: 1.5" Body Lift, Trooper 3.1 Rear Coils, ES9000 Shocks+2" , 2" Torsion bar windup,
Maxxis Buckshot M/T 265/76/16, Roof Lights front & rear, Waffle Boards, Tow Bar, Snorkle and wading cutout switch, Underbody Armour, Bull Bar with spots, CB, handsfree Phone kit, fridge & PC MM Navigation.
Region: Southern England

Postby fenwoman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. It is a 1996 2.5TD.
Can't do a winter BBQ as I haven't any goat and no half pig yet either until I get the big chest freezer installed in the freezer room but I like your thinking. Now if one of those fronty engineers was also a builder, I might be persueded to buy in some goat or a whole sucking pig, buy a sack of King Edwards fro roasting in the coals, get some 'falling down juice' and get the car fixed aswell as my chimney rebuilt lol.
fenwoman
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Vehicle Name: Fenella
Region: East Anglia

Postby country_Est on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:45 pm

2000 Frontera 2.2 DTi Ltd
country_Est
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Vehicle Name: panserbjørne
Modifications: 1.5" Body Lift, Trooper 3.1 Rear Coils, ES9000 Shocks+2" , 2" Torsion bar windup,
Maxxis Buckshot M/T 265/76/16, Roof Lights front & rear, Waffle Boards, Tow Bar, Snorkle and wading cutout switch, Underbody Armour, Bull Bar with spots, CB, handsfree Phone kit, fridge & PC MM Navigation.

Postby rangaKoo on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 pm

Set of Fronty glow plugs for £17 ish from glowplugs.co.uk
Best price your likely to find, worthwhile getting them even if your taking it to a mechanics, saves him doing you over on the price! :D

Si
www.4x4search.org - your 4x4 search engine. 100% human submitted and edited!
rangaKoo
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: Ahhh, now driving a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that kicks ass!

Postby I Live For FOG on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:52 am

also you need to reprime the filter by pumping the ptrimer untill hard

also a new filter would not go a miss

the filter housing has a blled screw on top of it make sure its not leaking from it

glow plugs are needed on all diesels so if one is duff its going to cause a problem lowering the voltage to the rest and you getting not enough glow

i two had pug had to change filters and glow plugs on that its normal servicing of them so frontera no different

if you are handy with a multimeter each plug should measure about one ohm when disconnect from circuit ( wires off ) .
A legend in my own mind
I Live For FOG
my other car is a broken down frontera,
my other car is a broken down frontera,

Modifications: A legend in my own mind

Return to General discussion