// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - BULL BAR STORY

BULL BAR STORY

banter general discussions etc

BULL BAR STORY

Postby jond66uk on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:11 pm

My friend recently had an idiot reverse into his parked up lwb fronty. The fronty was pushed back around 2 meters causing the bullbar to scrape a little paint off the passenger wing.The offending motor drove off, but there was a witness, so it was reported to the police. Well to cut a long story short, the police decided not to prosicute the idiot and the insurance said that if the fronty goes off to the bodyshop, then .the bullbar will be removed and the front wing resprayed. The spot lights on the bullbars would not be replaced because they were not allowed to renew the bull bar. In the end he agreed to accept 150 to cover the wing respray. So my question is, does anyone know the law on bullbars and how are thease laws being implmented?
2.4 Petrol estate
shake,rattle and rolls
jond66uk
Top Tech Bod
Top Tech Bod

Postby outergods on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:06 pm

AFAIK it is now illegal to SELL any 'frontal protection system' the does not meet some namby pamby EU law made by a bunch of disconnects in brussels.

It is still legal to have nudge bars fitted, so if the body shop wanted to be really picky they could refuse to refit the bars, but the owner could not be stopped from refitting them.

As long as the bars meed construction and road use laws they may be fitted, but you cannot produce and sell them.

it does drag in the likes of winch bumpers tho.

the question is, if a 4x4 drives over a tree hugger in a forrest, does anyone make a sound?

Matt
2.8TDI Sport. - 3" lift, 31" Recip Trials, Roof Rack, High Lift, Winch.
outergods
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby Drift on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Groan pmsl.

Insures only replace with new parts, so if they are not made and sold they cant replace them.
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Ruathar on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Depends on the model of Fronty. A series bull bars are not available and so they will not replace them, B series moulded "bump" bars are still available though only from VX at a cost of about £500 all in with colour coding.

If an A series then the insurance company is correct, though it will not stop your friend from taking the old bull bar and refitting it if it is still in working order.

If a B series then they may have taken the decision that the bar could push it over the 75% write off limit and so will not refit as is not essential.
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Some day it will be how I want it to be...
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: K&N Panel Filter, modified breaking system, modified air intake, performance oil and fuel filters, custom exhaust/manifolds/cats, rebuilt engine with performance parts, custom performance gaskets all round, custom light weight fly wheel, custom modded chip, now pushing 330+bhp. Needs new custom drive chain, modded body to take wider tyres, wider wheels and tyres and will then be complete other than the lift, mud tyres, rock sliders, and everything else I can think of....
Region: Midlands

Postby jond66uk on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Yes it's a 2.3 A series and he has took the money and pulled the bullbar away (bent back) from where it was pushed into the wing.
2.4 Petrol estate
shake,rattle and rolls
jond66uk
Top Tech Bod
Top Tech Bod

Postby dirth on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:06 am

As far as I'm aware they can remove and repair and refit ,but not replace with new unless it has the correct "markings" eg TUV or the British equivilent under European rules the TUV marking only would be legal .
Just my interpretion
Drift is correct re the new parts,but you can say it is OK to fit used parts and you are willing to send a letter to confirm that,this in now possible as insurers are now fitting non Factory panels, (replacement or motor factor type)which meet Thatcham standards
dirth
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Region: Scotland

Postby Big Dave on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:48 pm

outergods wrote:the question is, if a 4x4 drives over a tree hugger in a forrest, does anyone make a sound?

The 4x4 driver shouting yeeee haaaaaaaw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Dave
Member of http://www.northtyne4x4.com http://www.4x4uk.org
Big Dave
my other car is a broken down frontera,
my other car is a broken down frontera,

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Honda Civic
Modifications: Dreams
Region: North East

Postby lee thompson on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:56 pm

my neighbour had an illegal driver hit him in his shogun the insurance company paid for all repairs but the bars.
opel frontera lwb 16v 2.2 petrol...punctuation is important for example."i once helped my uncle jack off a horse"
lee thompson
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby dirth on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:35 pm

my neighbour had an illegal driver hit him in his shogun the insurance company paid for all repairs but the bars.

Interesting...could be they think they could be sued retro fitting the bull bars,
I had a look for the bars that I mentioned before on another thread that I got from the states and Grizzly,DeeZee, Hickey and the others don't seem to do them any more,
Max there seem to be similar to the early Frontera type(as discussed) or Pre-Runner type
dirth

Region: Scotland

Postby Ruathar on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:34 am

It is actually to do with the terms and conditions of your insurance policy that all work will meet MOT standards. Fitting or refitting a bull bar is not acceptable due to the fact that they cannot be manufactured and they get through the MOT on the technicality that they were fitted to the vehicle before the law was introduced.
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Some day it will be how I want it to be...
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: K&N Panel Filter, modified breaking system, modified air intake, performance oil and fuel filters, custom exhaust/manifolds/cats, rebuilt engine with performance parts, custom performance gaskets all round, custom light weight fly wheel, custom modded chip, now pushing 330+bhp. Needs new custom drive chain, modded body to take wider tyres, wider wheels and tyres and will then be complete other than the lift, mud tyres, rock sliders, and everything else I can think of....
Region: Midlands

Return to General discussion