// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - overheating

overheating

banter general discussions etc

overheating

Postby Silver Ghost on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Hoping for some advice before morning, as i will have to put my truck in the garage. i have a 1994 2l sport

Went to pick my wife up from the coach station after work, the journey there was trouble free.

I went for a coffee and returned to my truck to wait for her coach. switched on the engine, the windows appered to be more misty than usual and took longer to clear.

I put on my heaters, and after a short while they still felt cold. the temp guage had started to rise and was just past first white mark. ( my engine normally never goes past this mark in normal running conditions).

so i fiddled about abit the controls, and found that the footwell heater was cold, when i switched controls to demist, this was warm, (normal temp).

driving home, when i came to traffic lights, or stationary traffic, the temp started to rise to second white mark. when i started to move again, i was only really able to maintain the temp from rising with demist and fan on full. where normally the temp would fall if it ever got this high after a couple hundred yards.

Now my question is, would this be thermostat as i still had heat on the demist but not the footwell.

Secondly question, is it possible, blocked heater matrix, as i have heat at the dimist, but not footwell. and would this cause engine temp to rise quicker than normal.

or do i have something bigger wrong.

regards

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/S
Region: South East

Postby rangaKoo on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:59 pm

I know it sounds really daft and probably very obvious, but does the reservoir have water in it up to the proper point? (believe me, I've seen people who have no clue!)

switching between footwell and demist should affect anything unless one of the levers somewhere is trapping a pipe, however the pipes are rather strong rubber and not likely to become trapped by anything.

Your thermostat could be playing up, or perhaps one of the rad pipes may be blocked, your probably best of flushing out your radiator and seeing if it's full of stuff.

I'm sure some more suggestions may be made shortly.

I'm having a bad forum night, accidentally breaking stuff so I might go to bed ;)
www.4x4search.org - your 4x4 search engine. 100% human submitted and edited!
rangaKoo
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: Ahhh, now driving a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that kicks ass!
Region: Southern England

Postby Silver Ghost on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Got to the problem of my overheating this morning, was took dark last night to have a good look round.

ckecked water level, which was low, took a few litres to top up. started engine to let it run and have a look round for any aparent leaks.

I found one just under the back of the engine area, so took it to my local garage, and he has told me heater matrix has gone.

he has quoted me £375.00 so far.

this car has now cost me bucks now. estimated £627.00 + this £375.00 + usual sevice items, and 2 tyres for MOT. Im sure hoping nothing else can go wrong. or it might be time to sell.

sean

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1999/S
Region: South East

Postby john (smifffy) on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:40 pm

go to a radiator refurbisher and get an exchange or yours refurbed about £45 and 2 can change it in 4 to 5 hrs all the work is inside

on the A series it means dash and center consol out

i knew the firm i got mine from sohe gave me matrix and i took old one back when changed
cheers

john (smifffy)
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: 1996 2.2 16v diamond pack

2014 new astra 2.2 SRI cdti SS sports tourer
Region: East Anglia

Postby Wneiljohnson47 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:44 am

This might help and its a bit cheaper :D :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-FRONTERA ... dZViewItem